7.17.2008

Rhubarb of my eye

Strawberry rhubarb pie is one of my all-time favorites, for I love all things tart and pink (like grapefruits, raspberries, and watermelon Jolly Ranchers), but when pie crust is a bit of an ordeal, especially GF, this is a nice little version. The filling is all I really care about anyway, I always offer my crusts to Alex or my siblings.


I poured the ensuing pie-filling mush over some Haagen Dazs vanilla bean ice cream and just about floated off to Cloud Nine. With two spoons and one bowlful, we quickly devoured the slushy mixture and refilled several times before we were satisfied.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Mush
Makes a lot: enough for 4-6 generous ice cream toppers
2 cups rhubarb, rinsed and chopped to 1/2" slices
2 cups strawberries, rinsed and chopped to 1/2" slices
1 1/2 tsp. sugar (we're pretty brave, some folks might prefer more)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 dash cinnamon, if you like

Pint of vanilla ice cream, or just a couple spoons. It's a little too runny to treat as jam, but I'd love to hear other folks' ideas for how to use it.

1. Melt down the rhubarb and strawberries with some water, 1/8-1/4 cup should suffice.

2. Once simmering, add sugar and cinnamon, stir frequently until combined. No need to boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.

3. Pour over ice cream and slurp it back.

No comments: