7.24.2008

A Note on GF traveling

As I mentioned yesterday, Larabars are my new favorite nourishment when stranded without sympathizers or those knowledgeable about the issue (like my waiter last night who said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure the flourless cake is gluten-free; we don't make it in-house, but I would guess it's fine because it says 'flourless.'") I'm learning on this trip--my first extensive travel since going GF--that guesses are not enough to keep me healthy. So what do I recommend eating when on the go and without a refrigerator?

Keep in your bag:
*Larabars- especially the Cinnamon Roll and Ginger Snap flavors
*Roasted nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried fruit (be sure to check the labels, especially if they are flavored because they can contain malt extract, "natural flavors," wheat starch, or other additives).

*Fresh fruit!!! I bought a jar of PB to keep in my room and slather on bananas (no refrigeration required). Pick things with a glycemic bang since you may have to subsist on it for a while before returning to healthy home base...

*Potato chips, corn chips, vegetable chips (again, check the labels carefully for flavorings and additives, stick with those labeled "Gluten-Free").

*GF cookies! I love Pamela's Pecan Shortbread Cookies, they are so buttery and flaky, you would never know they were "missing" anything. Alex loves them too.

Look for at restaurants:
*When in doubt, order a salad. Be sure there aren't croutons and that the dressing doesn't have additives (to be safe, ask for oil and balsamic or white vinegar- malt vinegar is made with barley).

*Risotto, polenta, paella, tofu and rice (no soy sauce, but tamari is OK), soups made without roux, and cheese plates are good fillers.

*Mexican food (get corn tortillas) is a good bet, but always check with the server to be sure. Hopefully yours will be better informed than mine was.

*French fries, potato wedges, baked potatoes are good, unless the fries are coated with flour before cooking (fast food restaurants in particular may do this, but many have menus inside with allergy information).

*Wine and tequila are usually fine. Here's a better list of safe alcoholic drinks.

Watch out for:
*Waiters and cooks who don't know what gluten is or who don't seem responsive to your questions.

*Most processed and pre-made foods, in delis and at restaurants.

No comments: