11.11.2008

On this Veterans Day

Last night, Alex and I watched War, Inc., a satire about the US-led wars in the Middle East. While a somewhat farcical cross between Thank You for Smoking and Tank Girl, the movie's message was painfully serious: the corporate and political interests in these wars are inextricably linked, often to tragic and unneccessary ends for millions of innocent people. I recommend it for those willing to take a critical look at the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and to fans of John Cusack or Hillary Duff).
With the movie on my mind as I opened my browser this morning, I found an incredible story about the many and varied ailments Iraq War vets are facing, and the amazing courage and hope they are finding with the assistance of service dogs. These loving Laborador/Golden Retriever mixes are trained to help sense out seizures for those with brain trauma, fetch things for soldiers missing limbs, and generally calm the stress and anxiety of PTSD, a disorder vets are facing in record numbers.The article is just a step away from the important issues of veterans' benefits, insufficient medical care, and the needless injuries thousands are suffering. Reading the veterans' stories of devastating physical and emotional injuries leaves me wondering: for what gain?
While Bush is atop the USS Intrepid receiving the Freedom Award for "embodying the ideals of world freedom," it's important we take a moment to consider those veterans who are too traumatized to leave their houses for such a ceremony, and who lack the medical care they require to be able to celebrate today. We must remember them too, and the many thousands still deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan who may return broken or wounded and in need of support. On this Veterans Day, I am grateful for both the soldiers who have risked everything for their country, and for their families and friends who are working tirelessly to help make their lives more livable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Irie,
I just read your whole thingy. You are such a good writer. I appreciate your thoughts on veterans today. It is important that they not be vilified by the left.
Now about Obama ... way to go! I'm having the same reaction you described. I clicked my way through over 600 pictures of Obama-related activities on Friday night, and about half way through it I realized that the front of my sweater was soaked with tears. I just let myself go and began sobbing. I am still teetering on the brink of tears... where are they all coming from? What wellspring has been tapped by this man, this vision, this hope, this collective will?
At work Wed. a.m., teachers were hugging each other, kids were shouting through the halls "Obama! Obama!" I walked into my volleyball class, and put on Stevie Wonder's "signed, sealed, delivered" and said, "We have a Black president." The kids went nuts. We broke out into a spontaneous dance party on the court. I was so jazzed all day that even though I had had only a few hours of sleep the night before, I didn't crash, and in fact, had a hard time falling asleep that night. Anyway, I eagerly look forward to how we all will make this country work again. I'm ready, count me in!