11.03.2008

Get Out the Vote Day 3

I went for a crisp run through Center City this morning, and was so encouraged to see so many people buttoned up in their chic winter coats adorned with Obama pins!

We set out to Southwestern Philly for door knocking, and passed some gorgeous murals along the way. I love how this arm is like a birch branch.
At the Southwest office, we spent a few hours sorting, stacking, and bundling packs for all the thousands of volunteers who will set aside their jobs, their parties, and their scheduled activities to get out and make history tomorrow.After making the packs, we hit the streets ourselves to turn people out for tomorrow. We met a great group of kids who were jumping rope on the sidewalk, and as soon as we approached, a five-year-old shouted, "I'm voting for Obama tomorrow!" Erica and I gave them all our buttons and stickers. As we were leaving, I heard her cry out as she kissed the pin with Obama's likeness on it, "This is the BEST thing ever!"

Then it was back to the union's HQ to assemble food and maps for our GOTV efforts tomorrow. Each of those sandwiches was lovingly made by a team of dedicated volunteers. I took on more poster duty.
With the final maps in place, envelopes stuffed, and door hangers wrapped, we have to catch a few hours' rest before a VERY long and very exciting day tomorrow. As I was painting the last "yes we can" sign, I realized that tomorrow may be the most important, historical day of my life. And that is a realization which makes the necessary sleep that much harder to achieve. Bon soir and bon chance to all of those hard-working volunteers, you are all incredible. See you on the other side!

No comments: