10.28.2008

Comfort foods and silver skies

(Sunset from my living room, passing over Lady Liberty)
This morning when I woke up, a blanket of blue light had filtered into my bedroom and cast everything in a murky, hushed glow. Peering out my window, I saw the thick, downy cloud cover hanging just above the Statue of Liberty, threatening a damp chilly day. Somehow, the soft, ethereal morning light was a comfort, blanketing the noisy street with the impending rain. On days like these, I count the hours until I can be back at home, wrapped in a thick quilt, enjoying a steaming bowl of something savory.
(From my friend's rooftop in Prospect Heights, my old neighborhood)
For tonight, it might be polenta with freshly grated parmesan and delicately herbed mushrooms, a dish we devoured several times this fall. Or perhaps a kale and potato soup with melted gruyere cheese on top. Whatever I choose, it will be a complement to the weather, rather than a distraction from it, because sometimes, it's nice to get cozy underneath the clouds.

Rainy Day Polenta

Combine:
1 cup of corn meal, prepped per package instructions (makes 3 cups or so)
Pat of butter
Generous handful of freshly grated tart cheese (parmesan, asiago, manchego, percorino)
Salt and cracked pepper to taste

Place atop polenta:
Mushrooms sauteed with onions, garlic, EVOO, and fresh thyme sprigs
Salt and cracked pepper to taste

Served with a salad of raw, thinly sliced green and yellow squash in a simple vinaigrette, a nice textural contrast to the mushy goodness of the polenta.

TIP: My mom taught me this trick- use your hands to knead the dry cornmeal into the cold water before heating. This will enhance the creamy texture and help prevent clumps. Then boil and prepare as instructed.

No comments: