9.16.2008

Kitchen competition

We had a bake-off last weekend to welcome in the cooler temperatures and to celebrate our new oven. While I generally do the cooking, Alex is the master baker--effortlessly composing Dutch apple pies, flakey quiches, and fresh whipped cream--so we challenged each other to a friendly bake-off. (I admit that I fought for possession of the Ghirardelli chocolate chips while I stuck Alex with the Nestle ones.) Frankly, I couldn't taste the chocolate difference in the cookies, although I think my little GF confections held their own.

My GF cookies are in the foreground, Alex's conventional choc chips are in the background

These melt-in-your mouth confections are light, but not too crumbly, and the right balance of soft and gooey. I based them on a chocolate chip cookie recipe from the Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen, by Donna Klein, but I was in a very chocolatey mood, so I added cocoa powder and coconut flakes. I am so pleased with the results, and Alex even preferred them to his wheat-version (pictured in the background). They are best eaten warm from the oven, as the chocolate creates a molten effect in the tiny morsels that just explodes in your mouth. Sooo good!


Double chocolate-coconut cookies

Makes 4 dozen 2” cookies

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

½ cup salted butter, softened (1 stick)

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 cup potato starch flour (a very fine, light flour)

½ cup white rice flour

½ cup cocoa powder

½ cup semisweet chocolate chips

½ cup coconut flakes

Splash of milk, as needed, to moisten the batter


1. In a large bowl, beat the first three ingredients with a mixer until creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla, beat on low for 1 ½ minutes. Add the flours and cocoa powder, beat on low for 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and coconut flakes.


2. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight to stiffen the dough so the cookies won’t spread too much on the pan. Preheat oven to 375, lightly grease a baking sheet.


3. Drop rounded teaspoons of dough on the cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, until slightly firm around the edges.


4. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and transfer to a cooling rack (but be sure to eat some while they’re good and hot!) These are spectacular warm, dunked into milk.

No comments: