8.20.2008

Popcorn: the best snack (or meal!)

What is more tempting than the warm, nutty aroma of a freshly popped pot of popcorn? Nothing, so don't try. Well, maybe the smell of coffee beans roasting, but that's about it. Popcorn has an inviting, "it's raining outside so let's hunker down with a movie" air to it which makes the textural, flavorful indulgence all the more special and delicious.


I've been perfecting various flavor combinations for assorted movie purposes (kettle corn for a kids' movie, curry spices for an Indian flick), and have come up with a new balance that just sends me smiling to the corner of the couch where it's hard for anyone else to get their hands in my bowl. When I'm making a really delicious air-popped feast, I tend to serve my partner in another bowl so that I can savor my own without the fear of running out. I am not a handful-at-a-time eater, I much prefer the single kernel method. To Alex, popcorn is a snack, an afterthought while the main entertainment happens on-screen. To me, popcorn can be an all-consuming task, a meal extravaganza, hence the title of this post.


A note on pot-popping: This is a great method because all you need is a large pot with a lid (mine is clear glass, which is perfect for watching the kernels explode) and you can reduce the fat by popping in olive oil, which coats the popcorn, rather than pouring melted butter on top. To start, pour enough oil to coat the bottom of the pot and add kernels to coat in a single layer; my pot holds 1/4 cup. Turn the heat to Med-Hi and wait as it sizzles. When the popping starts, be sure it's not too hot (smoke coming out) or too cool (slow, spaced-out pops) and shake the pot occasionally to stir up any lost kernels. When it slows to 2-3 pops per second, turn off the heat, give it one last shake, and lift the steamy lid for popcorn perfection. Toss with your favorite spice combination and consume immediately.

My latest popcorn sensation:

Jumping Kernel Corn
Makes one large bowl of delectable crunch for studying or curling up with a movie

Pop together on Med-Hi heat:
2 T olive oil to coat pan
1/4 cup popping corn kernels

Toss kernels with:

1-2 tsp. Bragg Liquid Amino Acids (my sister introduced me to this, it's a miracle GF topper and it tastes like soy sauce)
2 T nutritional yeast (rounds out the meaty flavor and adds the definitive yellow tinge as well as a spectrum of B vitamins we veggies crave)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (my new favorite seasoning)
2 tsp curry powder

Spritz the Bragg's, add the nutritional yeast and spices, then toss until you have a virgin patch of popcorn and repeat until it's all nicely coated. Munch up!


(Bragg's is the perfect moistener-cum-saltifier as it is gluten-free, nutritious, and sprays on for a light, even distribution. Tamari just isn't the same, it splashes in large doses and renders the kernels it soaks utterly useless soggy messes. A spritzer is the way to go if you're not using butter and want your seasonings to stick.)

No comments: