6.23.2008

Starting out

Let me start at the beginning:

6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity and, as a vegetarian, I immediately revolted against the reality that I would have to give up seitan, fake meats, baguette, pizza, scones, cakes, cookies...you see where I'm going. I lay on the couch and scarfed a bowl of whole wheat pasta, drank my last Corona, and lamented, "This is the beginning of the end, I will never enjoy food again!"

6 weeks later, I am incredibly happy with my decision to cut out gluten, incredibly healthy, and having far more fun in the kitchen than in years prior. A vegetarian since age 8, I've gotten used to making special requests at restaurants and the awkward dinner party, and I assumed this would be another, much larger, headache. Thankfully, due to my incredibly supportive partner, the abundance of good food available to me, and reading GF blogs (thank you Shauna!) and cookbooks online, it is an exciting journey and I am eating better than before! Coupled with this, my boyfriend and I moved in together just a month before my diagnosis, so I have a great incentive (and awesome encouragement) to keep trying out new recipes and refining my culinary skills. It was at his urging that I began this blog, and it will be to his benefit as well :)

I hope this can be a celebration of delicious "foodie" as we call it in my family, a resource for others with gluten sensitivities, and a fun diversion from the less-pleasurable things in life. I am just learning the art of blogging, so please bear with me, but hopefully this can be user-friendly and a feast for the eyes (and tummy). I decided to start this because I couldn't find many exclusively vegetarian GF blogs, and I think the more we can concentrate and share our food ideas, the better. So please enjoy! Recipes coming soon.

1 comment:

sue r. said...

This is terrific Iris! I admire your positive attitude! Lactose intolerance be damned! It will be a great resource for me to learn from you so when you visit you will be greeting with some"friendly" food choices. You have opened my eyes. I will be on the look-out now for LC recipes to share here too. Question: you mentioned having your last Corona-is there lactose in beer??
Thanks for sharing!
Sue